Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Is Art a Luxury?

I was perusing the blogosphere, and I happened upon a great blog: ScoutieGirl.  She had a wonderfully thought-provoking question: is art a luxury?

If I was living in the US still, my immediate answer would probably, of course not!  Chec
k out Etsy and My Store, followed by some sales pitch.  But after living here in Asia, and seeing some vastly different ways of life, I think twice before answering.  Singapore is surrounded by third-world countries - which are just lovely places, but not as developed as the US.  Nevertheless, many of the people in those places are concerned not with the best artwork to hang on their walls, but more basic things like clean water, food, and making a living (a lot of them still don't have electricity, much less hot water or Air-con.)  

But even in these places, crafting and art flourish.  It may be a small embellishment, a decorated tray, a small altar, or even local art.  I think there is something innate in humanity that drives people to create and embellish.  About having a place to call home, taking pride in it, and making it as pleasant to live in as possible, whatever your means.  

On a side note, if you want to see more about what it is like living in Asia, you can visit my other blog here:  Dillon Factor

No comments: